4.07.2003

Cake or Death?

Cake please!!

It's been a very sad week here. Last Sunday, the mother of a friend of ours passed away after a long illness, and the wake was on Tuesday night. On Monday afternoon, the senior partner of my firm passed away, also after a long illness. His wake was Friday night and his funeral service was on Saturday afternoon. Although we did not know him personally, the passing of NBC's David Bloom on Sunday plunged our family back into mourning; he was a favorite of my mother's, and his death seems to have affected most viewers the same way - as if you lost someone you knew.

And as if all of that wasn't enough, what do I spot lying just behind my mother's rear right tire this morning? An intact, very dead squirrel. I had to move it - I was just imagining backing over the thing and having it pop or something...So I went and got a rake and as his beady little dead black eye stared up at me I flipped him a couple of times until he finally landed square in the middle of the flat part of the rake, muttering "I'm sorry!...I'm sorry!...I'm sorry!" the entire time. Not knowing what to do with him, I walked to the back field and pitched his little body into the bracken at the edge.

Cake, please.

No comments: