3.12.2002

The devil may be able to find work for idle hands, but he's been ignoring my idle mind.

I went to the bank today to deposit my umpteenth unemployment check, and it was there that I realized, in a brief yet terrifying moment, how detached I have become from the civilized world. There was no line, so I proceeded directly to the teller window and began filling out my deposit slip. I was writing in the date, March 12,...March 12th,...March 12, what?? Oh my God, what year is it?? Is it 2001? Or 2002? I panicked, staring at the deposit slip, wondering what type of reaction I would be risking if I said to the teller, "Um, excuse me...I've been out of work for almost 5 months now and my brain has severely atrophied from lack of use and I'm finding it hard to remember even the most insignificant of details, and, well..could you tell me what year this is?" No, that wouldn't do. Barely a few seconds had passed, but someone was sure to notice the way I was staring slack-jawed at the deposit slip. I made a guess. Thankfully, it was the right one.

No comments: