9.09.2003

Who's targeted by music swapping suits? Were these people still swapping music files after the new law was announced? Or are they going after individuals who downloaded music in the past? I stopped what little activity I participated in as soon as I heard that the RIAA was given permission to pursue online music swappers, but all of this makes me quite nervous. And while I feel bad for the individuals who have been served, I must say, however, that the defense that they didn't know it was illegal is pretty flimsy. Come on, you've been trading music files long enough to have over 1,000 files, yet you're not even a bit aware that what you are doing may not be within the law? What makes music-swapping so cool is the fact that you are getting something for nothing, with a minumum of fuss, and we all know that any such activity must be a crime.

No comments: