6.26.2006

Drive Thru Reviews

Good Night, and Good Luck - Very good movie about Edward R. Murrow's fight to take down Senator Joe McCarthy and end his Communist witch hunt in the 50s, that also works well as a warning to us, in the present day, on two fronts: 1) the misuse of the power of television (specifically the news divisions) and 2) the suppression of an individual's right to dissent. I found the film riveting, especially considering our current cultural and politcal climate. George Clooney wrote and directed it (and plays a supporting role). And David Straithairn is fantastic as Murrow.

The Upside of Anger - Gosh this was a bad movie. I should have known, considering it was written and directed by Mike Binder, who couldn't write a decent female character if his life counted on it. And this movie was full of poorly written women. I don't think I liked any of the characters, and so I didn't really care what happened to them. None of the scenes seemed to come from the same movie, and while I think Joan Allen is an excellent actress, I don't think comedy is her forte.

Veronica Mars, Season 1, Disc 1 - I'm late getting on this train and I'm glad I'm finally able to see what all the fuss is about. I watched 4 episodes in a row on Saturday night, and I love it. Combine Buffy with Alias and you get Veronica. The next 3 discs can't come soon enough!

No comments: