8.22.2007

Brought to you by Levi's: A microcosm of the polarization of America

Have you seen the ad yet? I thought it was kind of dumb, to be honest:



But then I saw the gay version on Logo:



At first I thought I was seeing things, but then I remembered what channel I was watching. It's still a dumb ad, in my opinion, but it's pretty brave, too.

For proof of just how brave it is, check out this article and the scary comments. I'm amazed at how quickly the discussion was distilled down to a debate between what appears to be the only two moral and political factions operating in this country anymore: ultra-liberal, anti-war bleeding heart atheists and Bible-thumping, far-right, anti-gay conservatives. I mean, I'm pretty close to being one of those bleeding-heart liberals, but I also believe in God and believe that religion does have its place in the world. Isn't there any in-between anymore? Why does everything have to boil down to "you're either with us or you're against us?"

Oh, wait, I forgot for a moment who has been the leader of our nation for the past 7 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I agree, it's a dumb ad. But who are these people that comment on these stories?? Jeez!

As for this (by the 'enlightened' reporter):
The gay version of the ad is currently airing only on the gay- and lesbian-themed Logo channel, although Levi Strauss & Co. said it does have plans to air it on other cable stations with both gay and straight audiences.

Thank goodness they're going to air it on 'straight' chanels. I must not be gay enough, because *those* are pretty much the only channels I watch - I don't really watch Logo.
~Krys