9.11.2007

What I Watched This Summer

So what happens to a girl who watches as much television as I do when summer comes and all of her shows go away? Believe it or not, I don't watch much of anything. The reason for that is really two-fold: 1) I honestly need a break from it - watching and blogging about TV can be like having a part-time job; and 2) There's not much on in the summer that I want to watch. The networks get flooded with reality programming this time of year, and well, that's just not my thing.

I can't go cold turkey, however, so I find a few things here and there to keep my brain in its accustomed television-induced stasis:

Bad Girls on Logo - A British drama about a women's prison, which originally aired about 10 years ago, whose first three seasons centered around a lesbian love story between a prison official and an inmate. Doesn't sound like anything you'd be interested in? You should give it a chance. You might just change your mind. I did.

Futurama on the Cartoon Network - How did I miss this the first go-round? Apologies to all Simpsons fans, but this, Matt Groening's other baby, is more my speed. Not only have I DVR'd and watched all 4 seasons this summer, I bought the first 2 seasons on DVD. It's the best cartoon about a slacker pizza delivery boy who gets frozen and wakes up one thousand years later and works for a space delivery company with a robot, a cyclops beauty and a lobster doctor that I have ever seen.

The 4400 - I watch the new season on DVD every summer (I'm behind a season). It's not the best show I've ever seen, but its premise has kept me coming back for more. That, and the fun of recognizing some of the Vancouver locations.

I also do a lot of non-realtime TV watching during the summer: I re-watched Firefly and Serenity on DVD and the Pride & Prejudice miniseries while on vacation in Maine, and I'm currently in the process of re-watching all of Battlestar Galactica with friends who are watching for the first time. So far, we're up to the fourth episode of season 2, and we hope to polish that off on Columbus Day weekend.

And now I find myself gearing up once again for a new fall season. I'm ready!

Note: I'll repost the fall season premiere post that I did a while back for you. Unfortunately, as some of you have discovered, my archives are not working (they stopped publishing correctly in March of this year). I'm working on the problem with the Blogger help group.

No comments: