7.03.2002



"But in fact, the whole notion of watching TV on the Fourth of July is -- well, I wouldn't go so far as to say unpatriotic, but at the very least it's off-putting...This should be a time when we appreciate the country by talking about it amongst ourselves, engaging, perhaps, in some spirited debate, or just going outside somewhere and looking at a real-life fireworks display, with other citizens all around us."
Entertainment Weekly's TV critic Ken Tucker tells us what not to watch for a change. I agree with Ken - I'm a TV junkie, but even I manage to stay away from it on this holiday. Which leads me to tell you that I'll be going to a party at a friend's tonight, and then to Rhode Island for the day tomorrow.

Have a Happy Fourth, everyone. Celebrate your freedom and your good fortune in being born a citizen of a nation in which VH1 would be willing to offer the likes of Liza Minelli and her husband David Gest their own Osbournes-like reality show.

No comments: