8.29.2003

Cold Beer and Wine To Go

That's what the sign said outside the Dufferin Pub, and since it was almost 11:00 P.M. and this represented our last chance to get alcohol for the hotel room, Colleen and I took advantage of the opportunity. My God, it was like a couple of white people walking into a black club - there were gay men everywhere. And all eyes were on us; the sound of a needle scratching across a record would not have seemed out of place. "This is a gay bar," I whispered to Colleen, displaying my mastery of the obvious. While standing at the bar, (after the very friendly bartender waited on us) I noticed the rainbow-like array of balloons covering the entire ceiling. Then there were the glass-front, built-in display cases lining one wall, containing replicas of the Crown Jewels. There were quite a few TVs going, and everyone who wasn't watching us was watching them. "They're watching 'Queer as Folk'," Colleen whispered back to me. Of course they were.

No comments: