11.05.2003

U.N. workers say thousands raped in Congo: "'These are women and girls from 5 to 80 years old who have been systematically raped a number of times, tortured and shot.'"

Not many news items bring me to tears, but this short article did. We stick our noses into so many places in the world, whether we are welcome or not, in order to protect our own interests. We claim that when we insinuate ourselves into the affairs of another nation, we are protecting and promoting democracy, human rights and freedom. Well, if that was really the case, we would have intervened, without or without the UN, in the Congo a long time ago. Instead, these people have suffered unimaginable atrocities and we hear very little about it. I wonder if that would be the case if the area in question was rich in some sort of natural resource? Or, dare I say, if its inhabitants were a little less dark-skinned? I am not naive, and I know that the world of foreign policy is delicate and complex one, but I would love for someone to explain to me the moral justification for not helping those who have suffered so greatly.

No comments: