11.17.2003

Uh, okay.

I went out to walk Petie at 8:30 last night. It was chilly, and fully dark. As I walked to the field beyond our backyard, my peripheral vision caught something off to the right. The kid from next door, about 14 or 15 years old, was lying sprawled on his back in his backyard. I stopped, ready to go over to check on him, when he moved his arm, lifted his head (to look at me, I think), and put his head back down. "He's alive, go about your business," I thought.

Another 5 minutes went by and he was still lying there, in the exact same position, when I got back inside. I decided I needed to go check on him - what if the kid was diabetic or something? I went back out, worked my way across the yard, and when I got to the point where our yards met I asked, "Are you alright?" He sat straight up and said, "Yeah, I'm resting, thanks. Sorry." He then got up off the ground and went inside his house.

Just resting. Sprawled like a chalk outline on the cold ground, in the dark. O-K.

No comments: