12.15.2003

U.S. to ’Work With Iraqis’ to Decide How to Bring Justice: "'I've got my own personal views about how he ought to be treated, but that's up to the Iraqi citizens,' Mr. Bush told reporters at a late-morning news conference. And while Mr. Hussein will continue to be questioned by his captors, Mr. Bush said he doubted that the answers would be truthful."

I have not heard more welcome news in a long time. I was up very early on Sunday morning, and I sat down with my cereal and turned on the TV at about 7:00. I do not kid you when I say that I sat blinking at the television screen, not believing what I was hearing. Congratulations and thanks to the soldiers who found him and brought him in successfully.

Along with everyone else, I've been wondering what affect his capture will have on the developing government as well as the violent opposition attacks. Not all of the "insurgents" are pro-Saddam, so his capture will probably not affect their activities at all. Will the certain knowledge that Saddam can no longer hurt them change the way Iraqis view coalition forces? Will things be easier for us now, or will they get worse?

I also wonder if the French, the Russians and the Germans are squirming at the thought of what Saddam might reveal in order to save his own skin. He's a coward, a megalomaniacal coward, so I think he'll let spill certain things he thinks will save his ass. Which is why he didn't kill himself, I think. All the better for us - if he had killed himself during the raid, he would have died a martyr. This way, he will be held accountable for his crimes, and all the world - most importantly the people of Iraq - will be able to see what a despicable and pathetic human being he is.

No comments: