7.06.2004

Can I go back?

We had a lovely time this weekend. We camped at the Mohawk Trail State Forest in northwestern Massachusetts, where my friend Holly's been camping since she was a little girl. It's a beautiful spot, nestled in the Berkshires near the Cold and Deerfield rivers. Holly shared with us her favorite places to explore as a child, along with family camping stories from over the years. We had a couple of hardy camping breakfasts, including sausage made at the local general store, Avery's. The weather was perfect (until the quick downpour on the morning we left), our campfires lit easily every night and burned strongly and we played cards and relaxed. Like I said, we had a lovely time.

Oh, let us not forget the bears! We had at least 4 sightings of black bears - a couple near our site, one on a riverbank while we were exploring the river and another at the dumpster. I never went around a corner without checking first. While I was anxious when I first got there (and saw a bear within a couple of hours, walking right through our camping area), by the time we were ready to leave I felt more relaxed - on the lookout for them but not scared.

Thanks for inviting me along, Hol!

No comments: