7.20.2004

The Eagle Has Landed.

Thirty-five years ago today, the Apollo 11 mission successfully put a man (two men, actually) on the moon. Even though I was five years old at the time, I have absolutely no recollection of the event. Which is odd, considering I was in the first generation to be raised by television. However, in keeping with the television connection, what I always think of in connection with the Apollo mission is this scene from "The X-Files" episode "Max":

SCULLY: I actually was thinking about, uh...

(She looks down at the Apollo keychain.)

SCULLY: This gift that you gave me for my birthday. You never
got to tell me why you gave it to me or what it means... but I
think I know. I think that you appreciate that there are extraordinary
men and women and... extraordinary moments when history leaps
forward on the backs of these individuals... that what can be imagined
can be achieved... that you must dare to dream... but that there's
no substitute for perseverance and hard work... and teamwork...
because no one gets there alone... and that, while we commemorate
the... the greatness of these events and the individuals who achieve
them, we cannot forget the sacrifice of those who make these
achievements and leaps possible.

MULDER: I just thought it was a pretty cool keychain.

If someone was curious about the show and its characters, that moment pretty much tells them all they would need to know.

No comments: