12.15.2004

Drive-by Reviews

So I watched a few movies over the weekend:


Elf - "Did you HEAR that?" ... "SANTA! Oh My God!! I know him! I know him!!!" ... "Look at you!" ... "This is just like Santa's workshop, except it smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me."

Sweet, funny, and with a rushed, hokey ending. But what would a Christmas movie be without a hokey ending? Will Farrell is pitch perfect. And the Gimbel's store manager gets an honorary mention.

Something's Gotta Give - Satisfying, if a bit predictable. Good script makes it stand out, and Diane Keaton, who didn't really impress me either way before this movie, was great. And beautiful.

Man on Fire - I love Denzel Washington, so it pains me to say this, but if you never saw this movie you wouldn't be missing anything. Dreary and excessively violent, the only bright spots are a supporting role by Chrisopher Walken and the cute but not cutesy Dakota Fanning. Oh, and the highly stylized cinematography is annoying.

No comments: