7.19.2005

Drive-By Reviews

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb - A classic, well-acted black comedy, but not nearly as funny as I thought it would be. Peter Sellers was phenomenal, especially as Mandrake and the President. His portrayal, however, of the title character was, well, weird. Check that one off the list, but I don't know that I would watch it again.

Akira - Called the cornerstone, or foundation for all modern anime. Visually stunning but the plot (don't ask) was at points impenetrable. And that sort of sums up most of anime, doesn't it?

Princess Mononoke - I really enjoyed this. The animation, the music, the story - all beautiful. I highly recommend it.

In the mail from Netflix: "Team America", "Napolean Dynamite" and "MST3K: Manos, the Hands of Fate", and they're all coming with me on vacation.

4 comments:

Johnny_Canuck said...

Dr. Strangelove used to be on the evening movies regularly when I was a kid. I always loved it then and I -own- it now. Peter Sellers as Von Klutz is absolutely hialrious to my twisted humour with the classic line "Animals could be bred and slauuuughtered." which out of context is not funny, but in context never fails to crack me up.
There are several other never forgettable things in this movie for me, one is Slim Pickens riding the bomb rodeo cowboy style, and the other is "Gentelmen! You can't fight in here, this is a WAR room!!"


Check the script online for a list of the character names too, in the movie they are invisible to the ear, in written word they are hilarious.

Too bad you didn't like this one Gina, my kids don't either. I list it as an all time classic, the best Kubrick film IMO.

JC

Esther said...

I've not seen any of these, although they're definitely on my list, especially Princess Mononoke (because of Gillian, natch).

Team America is just money, baby, not to mention "Oh my God, did that just happen/they just say that?" hilarious. lol

Haven't seen the other two, although I'm way curious about ND, and the whole 'vote for Pedro' thang. Let us know whatcha think.

gina said...

I cracked up at the "War Room" line, JC, and I loved the whole scene with Mandrake trying to call the president on the pay phone and the soldier won't shoot out the soda machine to get him change, LOL.

I was really sort of bummed that I didn't like it as much as I was hoping to. Stanley Kubrick and I do not share the same film sensibility, so that may have something to do with it. Of his films, I do think this was the best, certainly when it comes to pacing, lol.

It's worth seeing, I agree.

Johnny_Canuck said...

Part of my love for this movie is that I believe Peter Sellers to be the penultimate comic actor of the twentieth century.
While he was indisputedly an asshole in real life, IMO he was the funniest man alive on film.

JC