10.09.2009

Why don't I like this show more?

After watching the third episode of ABC's FlashForward last night, I am no closer to loving it than I was before. There's good stuff here, but I'm afraid it's being squandered somehow. Perhaps my own expectations are getting in the way, and this is not the show I thought I would be seeing? Or perhaps the people behind the show are trying to do too much? Whatever the reason, I think they are missing the mark.

There are things I really liked about the episode, and there are things I really didn't like.

What I liked:

*Janis Hawk, the smart, outspoken FBI agent is now officially my favorite character. If Herr Geyer was correct, she is a lesbian (and if the previews showing her kissing a girl are to be believed, he is correct), and it would be awesome to have a gay character as a lead on a network show (I can't think of any others, can you?). Also, if she is gay, her flash forward of being pregnant becomes that much more interesting.

*I'm sorry, I know he's a vile Nazi, but the man who played Geyer stole every scene he was in. I hope we see him again.

*The images of the dying crows were very powerful. So was that tower thing at the end.

*Courtney B. Vance rocked the eulogy, especially the lone tear at the end.

*Great cast additions last night: Kim Dickens (Deadwood, LOST) and Gina Torres (Angel, Firefly, Alias) are both AWESOME. I do wish they had something better to do than be wives of the main male characters, though. Perhaps they will. I haven't lost all hope!

What I didn't like:

*OK, so you can get a warrant, exhume a coffin, test the DNA of the remains, all in a period of 24 hours? (Actually, less, since Aaron was sitting at the bar for hours before he told his ex the results of the DNA test.) And all of this when the world is falling apart? That's a priority? I'm sorry, Aaron, but I don't think so.

*And if I'm not mistaken, the entire Germany trip lasted only a day, too. Right.

*While they worked last week, the comedic moments in last night's episode were jarring to me. I felt like this one should have had a darker feel to it, especially because of the Nazi storyline.

*Along a similar vein, the scale of the storytelling still feels wrong to me. It feels wrong that they all seem to be returning to life as usual and daily routines already. Maybe they should have limited the scope of the event to just LA. Hopefully as time passes and we get further from the actual blackout, I won't have the same problem.

*Does this show feel abnormally repetitious to anyone else? I mean, OK, I get it, THE WORLD HAS CHANGED. Why don't you try showing it to us instead of saying it over and over? And how many times do we have to see Olivia's flashforward?

*One more thing: Want to know why Charlie said "D. Gibbons is a bad man", Mark? Just ASK HER.

Whew. Alright, I feel a little better for getting that off my chest.

Here's to hoping this show gets better, because I really do want to like it.

No comments: