12.16.2009

TV Talk: Round Up

And boy do I have a lot to round up!

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, I'm not feeling inspired to write much about what I'm watching right now. Part of the reason for that is that some of what I'm watching is at best lackluster - FlashFoward, I'm looking at you - or just showing promise (that would be "V"), and that's leaving me plain uninspired.

Two of my favorites, however - one that just ended its second season, and one that's really hitting its creative stride now - are interesting enough to write about; I'm just not sure who wants to read about them. Would any of my readers be interested in recaps/reviews of Sons of Anarchy or Fringe? If people want it, I'll do it.

In the meantime, a few thoughts on what I've been watching.

Sons of Anarchy just ended its second season, and boy what a season it was, with bravura performances by Ron Perlman, Charlie Hunnam, and most especially Katey Sagal as Gemma, the hard-as-nails matriarch of SAMCRO (Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original). I don't put much stock in awards, and I keep telling myself that the Golden Globes don't mean anything, but the fact that this show was completely overlooked for a nomination really makes my blood boil. There are very few shows on television that are better written or acted, or that reach the Shakespearean levels of storytelling that SOA does. I am very sorry for everyone who does not watch it.

So, V and Flashforward are on a very LONG hiatus - V returns on March 30, FlashForward on March 4 - and I can't say that's very surprising for either show. I know ABC says the long hiatus is to protect them from NBC's Olympics coverage, but anyone with half a brain knows that both of these shows need some work. I feel more optimistic about V, but that may only be because V hasn't been on long enough to dig a hole as deep as the one FlashForward finds itself in. I will definitely be returning to V, but there's about a 50/50 chance that I'll never watch FlashForward again.

Fringe, however, has been AMAZING. John Noble as Walter Bishop has been AMAZING. The Walter/Peter relationship has grown to the point where, when the truth comes out, the fallout will be heart-breaking. I cannot wait. (returns Jan. 14)

Alright, let's wrap this up with a couple of programming notes:

1. Missed watching True Blood the first time around? Or perhaps you just want to watch it all again? Well aren't you lucky: HBO is airing a season 1 marathon beginning December 28, at 8:00 PM!

2. Fans of Deadwood's Timothy Olyphant and Elmore Leonard, take note:


That looks goooood.

3. Last but not least, how about some return dates?

Modern Family, Jan. 6
How I Met Your Mother, Jan. 11
Big Bang Theory, Jan. 11
Castle, Jan. 11
American Idol, Jan. 12
Bones, Jan. 14
Community, Jan. 14
Parks and Rec, Jan. 14
30 Rock, Jan. 14
CSI, Jan. 14 (busy night)
24, Jan. 17 & Jan. 18
The Final Season of LOST, Feb. 2

I have a feeling this is going to turn into the Nothing-but-LOST blog on Feb. 2.

(all return dates courtesy of Ausiello's Mid-season cheat sheet - check it out to see when your favorite show is returning)

No comments: