10.29.2001

October 31 Hoax

Press release from the FBI website:

"An anonymous internet electronic-mail (e-mail) message has been widely circulated pertaining to an Arab male who warned his wife not to fly on September 11, 2001 and not to go to any shopping mall on October 31, 2001. The e-mail further states that the Arab male disappeared prior to the September 11, 2001 attacks.

The FBI has conducted an inquiry into the source of this e-mail and determined that the alleged threat is not credible."
I received this e-mail a few weeks ago. I was pretty sure that it was a hoax, but these days it is better to be safe than sorry. I didn't forward the message on to my friends but I thought I should do something, just in case. So there I was, in the middle of the night, trying to figure out how to forward it on to the FBI without actually having to call them. In the end I sent it with an explanation to the DOJ e-mail address since you cannot currently e-mail the FBI. I never did hear back from anyone, but it is comforting to see that all possible threats are being given careful consideration.


No comments: