11.06.2001

Should You Get The Flu Shot?

My mother was urging me the other day to get the flu shot. She gets the flu vaccine every year, and she should: she's over 50 and suffers from slight asthma and allergies. I, on the other hand, am not in a high-risk group: I'm in my 30s, relatively healthy, and the last time I had the flu was over 20 years ago. Her reasoning, born of over-exposure to the anthrax news coverage, is that if I get the flu shot it will make diagnosing anthrax easier should I become infected. I told her that I wasn't going to get a flu shot because I see the risk as minimal and she told me I was crazy and intractable in my inability to take precautions. I feel vindicated after reading this article, but I'm still not going to address it again with my mother. I'm not that crazy.

No comments: