8.13.2002

Tuesday, right?

It was one of those mornings. I was up relatively early in order to get down to the employment agency and finalize my application for substitute teaching and begin my orientation. My apartment was like an obstacle course, with some sort of mishap around every corner.

I try to get online while eating my cereal (no, I didn't spill it, although I don't know why not), and got a DNS error no matter what site I tried to access. Also couldn't get to my mail server. OK.

I go into my bedroom to get dressed and find that one of the cats, Winnie, has just taken a ride on the Vomitron, puking all over my bed and floor.

After I clean up that mess, I realize I need to close any open windows and put the fans on exhaust to keep the heat of the day out. The only open window is in my bedroom. I reach behind the curtain without thinking and pull the window down. Right on top of my cactus. Not only did I spill the gravel/sand from the pot all over the floor, I managed to stick myself with the cactus needles, a couple of which are still in the palm of my hand.

Finally, on my way out the door, I pick up my soda can to take one last sip -- it's not my soda can, it's an old one, flat, warm, GROSS. As I jerk it away from my mouth...Yep, you got it, I dripped Diet Coke down the front of my white shirt. No time to change, though.

I make it alive to the truck, and as I'm about to pull out of the driveway, I realize that I forgot to put my watch on. I contemplated returning to the house to get it, but only briefly. I was not going to tempt fate by going through that door again.

Luckily, the application process and orientation went well. I'm back now and no mishaps so far...

No comments: