8.03.2004

Hello. I'm back in town and trying to catch up on things. Life is still not quite back to normal - I'm staying at my stepmother's house this week, dogsitting and housesitting. It isn't easy, being surrounded by constant reminders of my father, and the memories of all the visits over the years, but it's only to the end of the week and then life will hopefully settle down again.

The trip to Maine was a bittersweet one. Daddy's internment on Saturday was a small affair, with immediate family and a few people from the point attending. Very, very sad day, of course. In order to make room for others in the cabin, I took a campsite at a nearyby campground, Mainayr on Joy Cove, a really beautiful little campground that I would highly recommend to anyone looking to camp in the area. I was glad I had the campsite - the cabin was stuffed to the rafters with people and the site provided a place to go for some much needed peace and quiet.

I moved back to the cabin on Monday, after a portion of the group had to leave for home. The rest of the week was filled with almost constant activity - hiking, cooking, eating, card playing, shopping, etc. - and friends and family. It wasn't as quiet and relaxing a trip as I usually enjoy, but it was a nice visit.

Ah, but I am forgetting the highlight of the trip! On Saturday, the day before we left, Sheila, Mary, Tommy (sisters and brother) and myself entered the annual Great Codfish Relay Race in Milbridge. We had decided a couple of years ago that we would enter, and since the race was a favorite of Daddy's, there was no question - we were running the race. We practiced that morning, carrying a log and running back and forth along the dirt road behind the house. The neighbors, what few we have, must have been wondering what the hell we were up to. I really would have been happy to have simply finished the race without falling down but surprisingly enough we did even better - we placed! Third place, only 10 seconds behind the champs 4 years running. Not bad. Not bad at all. And I know Daddy was there, cheering us on and laughing his ass off.

So, that's pretty much the week. I will have photos to post, once I get home at the end of the week. Missed you all and good to be back.

No comments: