10.19.2005

Drive-Thru Reviews

Flight of the Phoenix - Really just a wisp of a movie. Don't bother.

Sahara - Another desert movie, but this one I liked. Outrageous action, but they pull it off. Steve Zahn steals the movie, I think. And great soundtrack.

Monster-in-Law - A romantic comedy with inconsequential romantic leads. Jane Fonda (and Wanda Sykes) STEALS this movie. Some good laughs.

Million Dollar Baby - (no link because there's a spoiler on the imdb page) Incredibly good, emotionally powerful film. Really, really good. Did I mention how good it was? With a beautifully spare soundtrack by Eastwood. I cried for the last half hour.

2 comments:

gina said...

I'm not a big fan of tearjerker movies, but this is my kind of tearjerker. No fuss, no muss.

When he told her what Mo Cushla (spelled phonetically) meant, I nearly fell to pieces.

Esther said...

Yep, I saw it in the theater, too. Simple and perfect, and I agree about the score. I cried like a baby, and only two other movies have done that for me: Return of the King and Titanic.

I enjoyed Flight of the Phoenix, but then again, I'm also a Dennis Quaid fan.

As for Sahara, it's enjoyable (you're right, Steve steals that movie, hands down), in spite of gobs of implausibility. I don't know about you, but I think Matthew's teeth could have lit the way through the mines of Moria for the Fellowship.

Just can't bring myself to watch Monster-in-Law. You know why. lol