12.07.2006

Another List of Christmas Favorites

This time it's a list of my favorite Christmas movies. The first batch are the classics, the second are the more recent favorites.

White Christmas - Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney...A classic, if a bit too show-bizzy. I love the "Sisters" bit.
A Christmas Story - The Christmas morning scenes really feel like Christmas.
It's a Wonderful Life - I like it more now that they don't play it as often.
Christmas in Connecticut - This one is never on. It stars Barbara Stanwyck as a sort of Martha Stewart of the 40s, who in real life can't cook, keep house or do anything that she gives advice on. Screwball comedy ensues when she has to entertain a returning WWII hero at her home in Connecticut.
Scrooge - This 1951 version of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, starring Alistair Sim is the best.

For more modern - and funnier - holiday movies, I like these:

Christmas Vacation - For the squirrel scene alone, I love this movie. That, and for introducing me to the Hawaiian Christmas Song, "Mele Kalikimaka is Hawaii's way To say "Merry Christmas to you."
The Ref - Dennis Leary is a thief caught on Christmas Eve at the dysfunctional home of Kevin Spacey and Judy Davis. Very funny.
Love, Actually - Romantic, corny, sweet, unrealistic, sad and funny. I love it for Emma Thompson, Bill Nighy and the great closing montage of people hugging the ones they love in an airport.
Die Hard - I don't care what you say, this is a Christmas movie and it's the best of the Die Hard movies.
Bad Santa - The funniest Christmas movie ever made, with Billy Bob Thornton as the worst department store Santa, EVER.

And you know what? I just realized that I have seen any of these yet this year! I'd better get crackin'.

5 comments:

Mary said...

I was surprised Gina didn't have Elf on her list. This and Polar Express are two new favorites of mine and the kid's.

gina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gina said...

I think Elf gets an honorable mention for me. I do like it, but to be honest, I completely forgot about it! lol

We managed to watch A Christmas Story this weekend while trimming the tree, so I can check one off the list.

And yes, Jeannette, I can imagine you and KI think Elf gets an honorable mention for me. I do like it, but to be honest, I completely forgot about it! lol

We managed to watch A Christmas Story this weekend while trimming the tree, so I can check one off the list.

And yes, Jeannette, I can imagine you and Kevin doing that. I'm sure he's glad you brought it up! ;-)

PS, not sure what's going on with the comments not publishing on the main page...

Anonymous said...

My husband and Mom also prefer the Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol, she gave it to us a few years ago.

I enjoy most of the kid's specials, love Heat and Snow Miser! But I found Polar Express to be super creepy. I don't like that motion capture stuff.

Don't forget PeeWee's Playhouse holiday special! I have to dig around and see if I have that one, I think so....

gina said...

Hi Mary! At least one of my sisters will comment now ;)

Beth, I'm almost positive that I've seen the PeeWee's Playhouse special but for the life of me I can't remember it. I bet it was good!