7.01.2008

TV Talk

Can you believe that I have been watching almost NO television, for days now?? There's been a lot to do to prepare for Lily's arrival, my weekends have been consumed with yard work, and I've been reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass is the first book), but mostly I haven't been watching TV because there has been almost nothing on that is evenly slightly interesting to me.

The TV landscape is absolutely awash with reality shows right now and for the most part, they're not my thing. I am, however, a big fan of Deadliest Catch, and I can't wait to watch it tonight to see if Phil has lung cancer or if it's just a punctured lung. Phil is the skipper of the Cornelia Marie and he fell in his cabin during a big storm in last week's episode and appeared to crack some ribs. But then he was really having trouble breathing and started coughing up blood. And the cigarettes he was smoking weren't helping the situation, either. We had a peek at some x-rays, but they're making us wait to see what's up.

Lately, if the TV is on at all it's tuned to Turner Classic Movies, one of the best cable networks, ever. They truly love movies and exist only to celebrate them. There are no commercials and most films are presented the way they should be, in widescreen, and there is often a discussion with a special guest after the movie. On Sunday nights they play silent movies and I usually have TCM on in the background while I mess around on the computer. For a look at what a typical month of TCM programming looks like, click here.

As they say, if you love movies, you'll love Turner Classic Movies.

No comments: