4.02.2001

After reading this article about the effect of Mozart's music on people who suffer from epilepsy, I was prompted to go to the Epilepsy Foundation website to learn more.

I was epileptic as a child. I had what I now know are called "simple partial seizures" and took 4 phenobarbitol a day. Reading about my particular form of epilepsy, I realized that I was probably still experiencing seizures well into my teenage years, even though I had a clean EEG and was taken off the phenobarb when I was 13. (I was weaned off the pills until I was 16). They weren't as debilitating, but I would have these weird sensory experiences at times, mostly when I was trying to fall asleep, that would scare the crap out of me. Now I know what they were. And to contact a doctor if I ever do experience them again.

It's not east growing up with epilepsy - you are limited in so many ways, unable to participate in sports and other physical activity, the interruptions to take your medication, the need to inform everyone every time you go somewhere without your parents that you are epileptic - but the most difficult part of having epilepsy is confronting and dealing with the ignorance that surrounds it and how that ignorance affects how people treat you. If you get a chance, please take the time to go to the Epilepsy Foundation site and read a bit about it. Thanks.

No comments: