4.19.2001

From The New York Times' "On This Day":

At Least 31 Are Dead, Scores Are Missing
After Car Bomb Attack in Oklahoma City
Wrecks 9-Story Federal Office Building


That was the NY Times frontpage headline the day after Timothy McVeigh bombed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City six years ago. Reading the story, I was struck with the same sick feeling I had when I listened to the news reports come in over NPR in my office the day it happened. I remember later seeing the pictures on the television. I remember thinking this stuff doesn't happen here - it happens in Beirut, in Jerusalem, in Belfast, not in middle America. Not to little babies.

McVeigh's execution will take place in about a month, I believe. I'm not a believer in capital punishment, but what else do you do with someone who killed 168 men, women and children in cold blood? May God have mercy on his soul.

No comments: