1.12.2002

Ramblings

It's the weekend, folks! I'm hoping we go out tonight - I'm feeling the need to tie one on. We were a couple of sad old ladies and stayed in last night and watched the Al Pacino Biography on A&E. (that's not why we stayed in, though, really) Did you know that Al Pacino was offered the role of Han Solo in Star Wars?? Good God! See now, if I had gone out last night, I would have missed a good laugh.

I went back to work yesterday, but only on a part-time basis for my former employer. I've contracted to work for them for a couple of weeks, a few hours a day. The extra cash, though it's not all that much, will certainly help pay some bills around here. I ended up being there for 7 freakin' hours, with no lunch! I'm not used to that - I was exhausted last night.

Another reason that I'm happy to have the extra income right now is I'm in desperate need of cash for my trip down to Key West at the end of the month. My brother Tommy (who, I'm ashamed to say, I don't have a picture of for you) is getting married to his longtime girlfriend Stacey in Key West on Feb 2. Sheila and I are flying down on Wed, Jan. 30, and staying for a week. This is where we're staying and this is where Tommy's wedding will be held (the ceremony will take place on the gazebo at the end of the pier in the photo at the site). I'm really starting to get excited about this now. There's been so much stress and strife around here lately that I haven't been able to work up much excitement about anything; it seems I may be coming out of that fog, or at least beginning to be able to make out some vague shapes through the mist ;). The only thing I'm bummed about is the fact that I have no money to spend before I go. I would love to pick up some decent beachy clothes and maybe do something with this hair, but I will have to suck it up and realize that those things don't really matter. What really matters is the 10 pounds I need to lose before I go anywhere near a bathing suit!

I don't know if I mentioned this before - I'm applying to the state's accelerated teacher certification program. I've got all of my application materials together finally, so I'll be completing the form this weekend and getting it in the mail sometime on Monday or Tuesday (needs to be postmarked by 1/18 - last minute? who, me?). As part of the application process, I need to take the PPST exam (Pre-Professional Skillls Test, I believe) - a 6 hour exam in reading, writing and math (2 hours each). You can take each exam on a seperate day if you like, but I've opted to take all 3 on one day - this Friday, Jan 18. If I'm accepted into the program, I will begin the 8 week course in June and hopefully be placed in a teaching position in the fall. There's also a second exam, the biggie, in your desired area of teaching, that has to be passed before you complete the course. Sort of scary, but exciting as well.

No comments: