5.23.2002

This is Jim Rockford...

The Rockford Files airs every weeknight at midnight on TVLand, and if I'm sitting at my computer at that time, I'm watching. Or at least listening. I never realized how much of each episode was spent in the Firebird. It's not a Rockford Files episode without at least one car chase (I know we're back from commercial when I hear the squealing tires). And Jim gets beat up at least once per episode. I've always loved that show and I readily admit to a crush on Jim (the actor and the character). He was handsome, funny, cranky, drove a cool car, lived on the beach, and he was sweet with his dad, Rocky. He could have used some wardrobe advice, but I'll let that one slide. Also, the show had one of the best theme songs ever. The drums would kick in right after we heard that week's answering machine message. Some of my favorites from the list:

"Jim, It's Norma at the market. It bounced. You want
us to tear it up, send it back, or put it with the others?"

"I staked out that guy only it didn't work out like
you said. Please call me. Room 234, County Hospital."

"This is Mrs. Mosely at the library.
We billed you for your overdue book "Karate Made Easy." We abuse our
libary, we don't get our cards renewed."

"This is Mrs. Lindis. Three times this month
I come to clean and it always looks like people been fighting in there.
Furniture broke, things tipped over. I'm sorry, but I quit."

"This is Dr. Souter's office again, reguarding that root
canal. This doctor is in his office...waiting. He's beginning to dislike
you."
He also had some great guest stars. Seen recently: Lauren Bacall, Mariette Hartley (with whom he would later make those great Polaroid commercials), Lindsay Wagner, and of course Tom Selleck as unbelievably dorky Lance White. Well, it's almost time for Rockford - gotta go!

No comments: