6.01.2002

"I don't think either side is that irresponsible to go to that limit," Musharraf told CNN in an exclusive interview. "I would even go to the extent of saying one shouldn't even be discussing these things, because any sane individual cannot even think of going into this unconventional war, whatever the pressures."

Pakistan's President Musharraf assures the world that the current conflict between his country and India will not escalate to full out nuclear war. I feel somewhat reassured. I was reading some of the news stories about this yesterday and I couldn't even write about it, it frightened me so. That level of mass destruction and loss of humanity is beyond my ability to comprehend it. If I think about it too much, I can literally feel the panic begin to settle in, and then my mind just shuts down, a defense mechanism. I think a lot of that is a result of growing up when I did, before the Wall came down and relations between ourselves and the Soviet Union (the only other real nuclear threat at the time) thawed. Now, with the proliferation of nuclear weapon technology wider than ever (and in the hands of countries that are not particular friends of ours), the old fears are starting to awaken.

No comments: