8.23.2006

My 25 Favorite TV Characters

Inspired by a similar list posted by Joss Whedon at whedonesque, I've put together a list of my 25 most favoritest TV characters. I'd love to hear yours - just keep in mind that they have to be a regular on their respective shows.

Disclaimer: These are in no particular order and I reserve the right to add or remove names as I recall them, which will probably be as soon as I hit the publish button.

Top 25 Favorite TV Characters

Frasier Crane (Cheers and Frasier)
Al Swearengen (Deadwood)
Laura Roslin (Battlestar Galactica)
Thomas Magnum (Magnum, PI)
Willow Rosenberg (Buffy)
Spike (Buffy)
Jack Bristow (Alias)
Dana Scully (The X-Files)
Benson (SOAP, and Benson)
Lucille Bluth (Arrested Development)
Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)
Mulder (The X-Files)
Jim Rockford (The Rockford Files)
Diane Chambers (Cheers)
Jim Ignatowski (Taxi)
Elden (Murphy Brown)
Calamity Jane (Deadwood)
Jane Tennyson (Prime Suspect)
Irina Derevko (Alias)
Jamie Sommers (The Bionic Woman)
Jack Bauer (24)
Hutch (Starsky & Hutch)
Rupert Giles (Buffy)
Carmela Soprano (The Sopranos)
Frank Pembleton (Homicide: Life on the Street)

Please post some of your favorites in the comments - I would love to see them!

3 comments:

gina said...

Those are some great lists! After reading them, I realize I need an "Honorable Mention" list:

(again in no particular order)

Rob Petrie
Burt Campbell/Jessica Tate (SOAP)
Columbo
Patsy Stone
Lucy
Picard
Niles Crane
Tony Soprano

Johnny_Canuck said...

Not all mine are really characters.. some played many characters on the shows they were on. Are you ready for obscurity?
Always been one of my favourite things,obscurity! LOL


Cosmo Kramer (Seinfeld)
Elaine (Seinfeld)
Maxwell Smart (Get Smart)
John Belushi (Saturday Night Live)
Dan Akroyd (Saturday Night Live)
Captain Kirk (Star Trek)
Red Skelton (The Red Skelton show)
Jill Munroe (Charlie’s Angels)
Bob and Doug McKenzie (SCTV)
Smoking Man (X-files)
7 of 9 (Star Trek, Voyager)
T’pol (Star Trek, Enterprise)
Gavin (Bruce McCulloch) (the Kids in the Hall)
Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine (the Gong Show)
Jaye P. Morgan (the Gong show)
J.Z. Kane (Kim Basinger, I know this is really OBSCURE) (Dog and Cat)
Dana Scully (X-files)
David Steinberg (The David Steinberg show)
Tim Conway (The Carol Burnett show)
The Gorn (Star Trek)
Catwoman (Batman)
Tully (Rat Patrol)
Illya Kuryakin (Man from U.N.C.L.E.)
Heimie (Get Smart)
Log Lady (Twin Peaks)

gina said...

Awesome list, John. Kramer and Elaine were my favorites on Seinfeld, too. I remember Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine! And JP Morgan, lol.

The Log Lady was the seed from which quirky television grew.