6.20.2007

I think I suffer from NADD - Not Another Disorder Disorder

Getting Lost in the Great Indoors: "Coining the term 'nature deficit disorder,' Louv has argued that indoor kids are more prone to a range of childhood problems, including obesity, depression and attention disorders. He contends that they miss out on the spiritual, emotional and psychological benefits of exposure to the wonders of nature, including reduced stress and improved cognitive development, creativity and cooperative play."

I know there are a great deal of contributing factors when it comes to kids spending too much time indoors - safety, two working parents, the environment - but I think there is one factor more prevalent than the others: parents who let their kids stay inside.

Children would rather play video games or IM their friends or watch a DVD? So what! I would rather have lied on the living room floor and watched soap operas or game shows all day in the summer (shut up, I grew up in the 70s, alright?) but could I? Noooo. Why? Because my mother, who was single for the much of my childhood - and worked - made me go outside and play. Unless someone was bleeding, we couldn't come back in until lunchtime. The same applied when we visited my father. I hated having to stay outside but you know what? I'm thanking them now.

No comments: