3.25.2009

Ever hit "Reply All" by mistake?


And you knew what happened as soon as you clicked that button and you wished there was some way to get that incriminating e-mail back?

Well now there is, if you use GMail:

To address this problem, Google Inc.'s Gmail Labs has launched an experimental feature called "Undo Send" that gives users a chance to rewrite their message, correct settings or simply fix typos.

When a Gmail user who enables this feature sends an e-mail, a button that says "Undo" will pop up on their screen for five seconds. If the user hits the button within that time, the service will retrieve the e-mail in draft form -- allowing the user to make changes or cancel the message altogether.


A "five second rule" for e-mail. It's about time!

ETA: OK, I should have tested this before I posted the article...I enabled the setting on my gmail account (it's under the "Labs" tab under "Settings") and sent a test e-mail to myself. I saw no message giving me the option to cancel. I tried over and over until I realized it was working, I just couldn't see it because it flashed on my screen (see image above) for about one second, NOT the 5 seconds they claim. It wasn't easy getting a screen grab of that!

I'm not sure why I didn't get the full 5 seconds, and I'd be interested in hearing from you about it.

No comments: