6.25.2009

The Plan and Virtuality

There's a new trailer for The Plan!



Ron Moore, the mind behind BSG, has a new television project called Virtuality, whose 2-hour pilot will air tomorrow night on FOX. Unfortunately, as of this writing FOX has not ordered the series and it is quite possible that the 2-hour pilot will air as a stand-alone TV movie. I say "unfortunately" because this thing has been almost universally praised. Check out what The Futon Critic has to say about it:

"Battlestar Galactica" in a lot of ways rewrote the book on what audiences could expect from hard science fiction. And as that series draws to a close there seems to be an unspoken feeling that it will be some time before the next "big" science fiction series adds a few pages to that book. Well, I hesitate to set the bar so high this early but... this just might be the next "big" show (and when I say big, I mean the astronomical number of fan web sites that will be devoted to it). "Virtuality" is brimming with joyously clever ideas and concepts, not to mention filled with decidedly unique characters and relationships - and I didn't see any of it coming. While "Battlestar" is mired in metaphors about the politics of 2008, "Virtuality" takes on our growing attachment to technology - how it's starting to define us and how we see ourselves.

Having been burned a number of times by FOX's itchy cancellation finger, I don't hold out much hope for a series to develop out of this; however, if it's as good as people say (here's Alan Sepinwall's review), perhaps there's a sliver of a chance they'll pick it up. Maybe?

Check out this collection of FOX promo clips:



My DVR is programmed and I have set myself up for a crushing disappointment when FOX declines to pick this up as a series. My work here is done.

1 comment:

krys said...

Oh, I'm looking forward to a darker-haired Six. Yay.