9.25.2001

I lied.

I wasn't back in a little while, was I? Oops.

As I said, my vacation was just what the doctor ordered - a week of solitary relaxation, without the personal and public distractions of real life. I suppose I was running away, from facing my impending unemployment as well as from the devastating current events. I didn't shirk reality completely, though. I stayed abreast of unfolding developments by listening to the radio and catching the evening news. I even managed to remember to watch the President's Address to the Nation.

I have my aprehensions about President Bush and I was anxious about his speech. We so desperately need a leader right now, and I didn't think Mr. Bush was capable of displaying the those qualities that are demanded of a leader in times such as these. I was wrong. The speech was powerful, its message was clear and specific. Most importantly, the President's delivery was passionate, yet even-handed. As frightening as the prospect of a war is, I came away from the speech with the confidence one feels when they know they are fighting for a just cause. I would most certainly prefer a non-violent resolution to this conflict, but I think we are past that now, unfortunately. I just pray that as few lives as possible are lost, on all sides.

So, vacation...I didn't do much of anything, really, and it was glorious. The weather was perfect all week so I was able to get in a couple of hikes. I read three books: The Empty Chair, by Jeffrey Deaver; Wild Justice, by Philip Margolin; and A Place of Execution, by Val McDermid. All good crime thrillers, the best being A Place of Execution and The Empty Chair. I also rented a few movies: The Dish, You Can Count On Me, and Memento. I recommend them all. The nice thing about renting Memento is that I could just rewind and watch it again immediately after it ended. What a great movie. On Wednesday I took a roadtrip down to Bar Harbor and Schoodic Point, did a little shopping and took some pictures. I scanned a bunch in tonight at the office and I'll be posting them soon.

Most importantly I was able to decompress a bit while I was there. I was drowning in news and video about the attacks prior to leaving and my anxiety level was through the roof. As much as I didn't want to leave the cabin, it is good to be back. And the perspective I gained while away has helped me regain my footing on a slippery slope.

No comments: