9.10.2002

Day Off

I wake up every morning now wondering if we've invaded Iraq overnight. Sheila and I watched "Three Kings" over the weekend, and I said to her, "The more things change, the more they stay the same, huh?" War with Iraq, another "George Bush", Saddam, starving refugees...(excellent movie, btw)

Speaking of waking up, I woke from an awful dream this morning. In the dream I worked for a local morning radio show, out of Hartford. For some reason, I was walking to work, normally a 45-minute drive, along I-84. As I got close to the city, I came across this woman who was playing with her dog and small child in the highway median. I watched as she gathered her child and things together into this small wooden sleigh, strapped a harness and reins onto the dog, slipped on the hood of her parka, stepped onto the back of the sleigh and away they went down a Hartford street. I was in town now, and it looked like it had snowed, but I wasn't sure. I found what I thought was the building I worked in; I took an elevator up to the top floor. I wandered into a room full of people who were seated in rows of chairs and sat down. The room didn't look or feel quite right, sort of crooked. Suddenly I saw the building outside the window falling toward us. It crashed onto us, and the building was collapsing all around, everything was black, and I was thinking "This is it, this is what it felt like..." Then I opened my eyes and realized I was safe in my sunny, bright bedroom.

No comments: