9.17.2002

I began practicing with my "new" GPS this afternoon. Well, let me clarify: I borrowed the device from my father and "practicing" isn't quite the correct term - more like learning how to turn it on and deciphering the lingo in the book. We have a large hayfield behind our house (what's left after they tore most of it up to put in a subdivision), so there I was, standing in the middle of it, entering and naming my waypoint, the GPS in one hand, the book in the other and Marty's leash hanging off of my pinky finger. I tried mapping my route as I walked from the field to the front of our yard, but Marty kept wanting to run circles around me, and when you're trying to plot a course and direction via satellite, spinning round and round ain't such a good idea. I did manage to figure out how to delete all of the waypoints my father had entered - they were interfering with what I was trying to do. I'm sure he won't mind. No, not at all. (I don't think he will since when he dropped the GPS off at my house he told me that he "never did figure out how to use it.")

Now the next step is to choose a cache from the Geocaching site, find some free time and someone to accompany me, and off I will go. I think I'll bring along my little digital camera to mark the occasion. Anyway, I'll let you all know when I do.

No comments: