11.19.2004

C-SPAN at 2:00 in the morning.

Pomp and populism: "By the time U2's lead singer, Bono, appeared onstage under a green umbrella, the spirit of bipartisanship had washed away in the downpour. Bono saluted Clinton for forgiving the debts of the poorest nations and for his involvement in the Northern Ireland peace agreement, before launching into a rendition of 'Sunday Bloody Sunday.' Bono's presence was part of the effort to combine humble talent and international sophistication."

I had a sinus pain/teeth flareup during the night that woke me at around 12:30. So, after taking a Claritin-D and some Advil, and while I sat on the couch waiting for the pain to subside enough for me to go back to sleep, I surfed through the TV channels and came across C-SPAN's coverage of the dedication of Clinton's presidential library. Actually, what I came across was the precise moment mentioned above: Bono singing an unplugged version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" while the Edge accompanied him on acoustic guitar. Very bizarre to watch all the presidential types standing around in the rain looking in every direction but at the band - the Clintons seemed to be the only VIPs there who seemed to know there was a band on stage and who they were. However, it was pouring rain, so they all probably wished the whole thing would just be over with and they could get inside where it's dry.

I fell asleep while watching "Cold Case Files" on A&E, I think, and woke up about 45 minutes later, at 3:30, feeling well enough to go back to bed. I'm feeling much better this morning, except for the fact that I'm exhausted!

1 comment:

Johnny_Canuck said...

I saw John Fogerty (ex-CCR) on Much Music the other day, saying how most Americans don't see the Iraq war as another Vietnam yet, but unfortunately, he feels, they will.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fogerty

Judging by the line-ups to get into Canada these days, in anticipation of a draft, he may be right.