8.29.2005

Holy Land USA

At Holy Land USA, A Vision Crumbles:

"Greco's Holy Land USA, once a vibrant miniature replica of Bethlehem and Jerusalem that drew thousands of pilgrims in the 1950s and '60s, is probably beyond repair, reduced to a cultural oddity.

All that's left of his toil on the craggy hilltop that overlooks downtown Waterbury and I-84 is rotting plywood, rusted chicken wire and overgrown brush, the victim of weather, wear and vandalism.

Even the sturdiest - and most obvious - depiction of Greco's faith is in peril. The 56-foot, lighted steel cross that stands high above I-84 is structurally unsound."

I live very close to Holy Land now and grew up with it as part of the local landscape, but the closest I have ever been is viewing the lit cross from the highway. I'd love to go and take some pictures myself some time. Maybe with an armed guard, though - it is near a pretty scary part of town.

This site has photos of Holy Land in its early days. Fascinating.

No comments: