8.30.2005

Katrina Heartbreak

Katrina kills at least 55 in Mississippi: "'I held her hand as tight as I could,' the man said. 'She told me, 'You can't hold me.' She told me to take care of the kids and the grandkids ... we ain't got nowhere to go. I'm lost. That's all I had.' "

God, why didn't these people leave town when they had the chance? It's just too sad. And you know, I'm sure the death toll will rise during the coming days, but I really think the mayor of Biloxi is stretching the analogy a bit when he says, "This is our tsunami." Get a little perspective, pal.

Good luck to everyone affected.


2 comments:

Johnny_Canuck said...

I don't get it. When they are evacuating a city of a million, just across the border, why not fire up the Mazda and head north?

These idiots who have several days warning, yet sit there, like the old man who was incinerated on Mt. St. Helens, saying "I done lived here X amount of years and nothing is gonna move me",,, must be the same ones who drive off bridges that are washed away, after crashing thru all the "bridge out" signs.. :-/
I just don't understand how some people can be so stupid.
But, they get what they deserve, I guess. A Darwin award.

gina said...

I agree, I don't understand the mentality of those who have the wherewithal to leave, yet choose to stay. I can't say they deserve it, but I do think it's stupid.

The people, though, who had nowhere to go, no money, no car, were old or sick - those are the people that break my heart.

A far as those people who did manage to get the hell out of Dodge, I can't imagine how they feel coming home to nothing.