5.17.2006

Idol: The Top 3

I just want to start by saying that Clive Davis, all of his music industry clout notwithstanding, chose really shitty songs. Has he watched any of this season? Maybe he knew his choices stunk and that's why he was hiding in the audience.

Hey! Was that Roseanne?! With blonde hair?

This is the night when each performer sings three songs: one chosen by Clive, one by a judge and one they chose themselves.

Clive's Choices

Elliot is first, with "Open Arms" by Journey. Clive doesn't get Elliot. AT ALL. It's just okay. Simon's right, he needs to loosen up. Come on, Elliot, you were so good last week!

Next up is Katharine and her song is even worse: "I Believe I Can Fly", by R. Kelly. Not only is it a crap song, it's completely wrong for her. That's more a Mandisa song. Anyhoo, I brace myself for another meltdown, and...wait a minute. That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. She really made the best of a song that she was clearly not meant to sing. However, Katharine, it is poor form to make all those faces at the judges while they're critiquing you. You need to keep that in check. Bravo, though, for standing up for yourself against Randy's ridiculous "song choice" criticism.

And now we have Clive's final choice, "Dancing in the Dark" for Taylor. Boo! Hiss! It's my least favorite Springsteen song and it takes no great talent to perform it. The Paula dancing was kind of cute, though.

Jesus, I'm glad they got those out of the way right off the bat. I'm a bit underwhelmed at this point.

Judges' Choices

It's Elliot's second try, and this time Paula's picked "What You Won't Do For Love", by Bobby Caldwell. Is he off-key (or sharp or pitchy or flat or whatever you call it), or is it the band? They're certainly drowning him out. I really thought it was going to be a good choice for him, but...he does better than the first song, but not by much. He's just not "there" tonight.

Simon has chosen Katharine's second song: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Wow. That's the performance I've been waiting for from her. I actually had a lump in my throat by the end. Excuse me while I go and cry with her McFather. That was what she needed to do tonight to get to the final.

And now we have Randy's choice for Taylor: "You Are So Beautiful", by Joe Cocker. This is a song I've been wanting to hear from him all season. It was a very tender, subdued performance, well done.

Singers' Choices

Elliot, this is your last chance, you've gotta bring it. Unfortunately, he chose a song that very few people are familiar with - and I'm not one of them: "I Believe to My Soul" by Ray Charles (Donny Hathaway version). From what I can tell, he does a great job, but I don't think he connects with the audience at all. This makes me sad.

Katharine has chosen to sing "I Ain't Got Nothin' But the Blues". It's very stagey, but I don't think she misses any notes in there and I really don't think she oversings it, as is her tendency. Like Simon, I wish she had ended with Rainbow, but this wasn't so bad.

And finally we have Taylor, gettin' down with "Try A Little Tenderness". He's looking a little autistic there at the end, but overall I think he nails it. I just have to say, he is really rockin' those suits tonight.

I think Katharine had the night she needed to have in order to stay in the competition and I think Elliot is going home tonight.

Anyone want to come over next Tuesday and play a Soul Patrol drinking game with me?

No comments: