6.10.2008

Every jump brings us a little bit closer to home.


What's Alan Watching? What's Alan doing in my head, is more like it. Mr. Sepinwall does an amazing job - much better than I ever could - of expressing exactly what I thought of Friday's exquisite Battlestar Galactica episode, "The Hub":

It's about time: "At this late date in the lifespan of 'Battlestar Galactica,' what superlatives are left to describe the work of Mary McDonnell? How can I praise this performance week after week, season after season, and capture how much better it keeps getting without sounding like a sycophantic broken record?

Here's the best I've got, really: if this were baseball, I'd start suspecting her of using steroids or HGH, because in recent weeks she's gone from late '90s Barry Bonds (consistently brilliant, but in a way that almost makes you take her for granted) to early '00s Barry Bonds (jaw-droppingly, insanely, don't-dare-change-the-channel amazing). Mary's head is still the same size, but somehow, she's found a way to take her game to a new level of late. I am so grateful that we get to watch her play this character."


"The Hub" had all of the elements that make Battlestar Galactica *still* one of the best things on TV - stunning acting and intelligent writing played out against a backdrop of gorgeous space battles and a haunting score - but what made it truly outstanding for me was the scene where Roslin and Adama finally, finally acknowledge their feelings for each other:



It's taken them a mini-series and three and a half long seasons to get to this point, and all the tiny steps forward in their relationship over the years were like the jumps of the basestar that brings them ever closer to home, to each other.

I love this show.

No comments: