6.11.2008

Poke it! Watch how it trembles!

Weight Watchers recipe cards, circa 1974: "These cards mystify me. None of them have calorie or nutrition information of any kind, and in some instances it's hard to tell what's dietetic about the recipes at all, except that they're unspeakably grim. And yet also, completely insane. They appear to be from a much kookier era of Weight Watchers. There's a certain serve-it-at- your-next-key-party freakiness to a lot of these dishes."

A sample of the insanity:



Did people really eat this stuff? The Mackerel Pudding? The Inspiration Soup? The Frankfurter Spectacular??? Incredible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those cards are terrifying! I can't imagine my mom ever considering making even one of those! Good lord, did people actually eat them? I can see how they would help with weight loss, tho, who would have seconds?

I loved the comments about the props, lol.

J said...

People at WW (lifetimers I guess) talk about these old recipes. A particular favorite was the "crown roast" made entirely of hot dogs - of which you could eat about 7 on WW at the time. That is amazing since a typical beef hot dog today has 14g of FAT....I really don't know how people lost back then. Maybe they thre up a lot after eating these "recipes"!