9.09.2008

Drive-Thru Reviews

Superbad - Wow, I knew I was way out of the demographic for this movie, but I didn't realize HOW far out. I really like Michael Cera, and 40-Year-Old Virgin is one of my favorite comedies, ever, but this one? Ew. I just didn't think it was very funny at all, Jonah Hill is an annoying little assh*le and I felt assaulted by the incessant vulgarity. Wow, I am OLD.

Cloverfield - You might need a dramamine while you watch this, but I really liked it. It's a fast-paced, edge of your seat thrill ride. I watched with fists clenched, hands over my eyes, all the while imploring the people on screen to "Run, dammit! RUN!!"

Eastern Promises - One of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. Viggo Mortensen's Oscar nomination was well-deserved. He is amazing as the chillingly stoic yet oddly charming Russian gangster. He even gets naked in the film. Unfortunately, it's during one of the most horrifying fight scenes I have ever seen in the movies - a knife fight in a bath house. Word of caution: this is a David Cronenberg film, so whatever violence is in it is graphic and intense. Still, I highly recommend the movie. It's a great story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also really enjoyed Cloverfield. We saw it in the theater, but rented it once it came out on DVD because we had to get a better look at that creature.