11.06.2008

The end of cynicism, the return of hope.

That's the case for me, at least. I have never felt really, truly good about a President, until now. Or as hopeful for our future.



Just a few thoughts about the election and then I'll leave the politics out of it for a while...

I thought that John McCain's concession speech was gracious, thoughtful and heartfelt. It's unfortunate that we didn't see more of that John McCain during the campaign. (and less of his running mate, who I hope I never have to mention here again!) I hope that when he returns to Washington he is able to mend fences with Obama and they can work together to get stuff done. If anyone knows how to work both sides of a room, it's John McCain.

I am by no means a fan of Jesse Jackson's, but I cannot deny that I was extremely moved by the sight of tears pouring down his face after it was announced that Obama had won. On his face I thought I could see joy, relief and shock at what was accomplished, grief for those who did not live to see this day and maybe even some regret over not initially supporting Obama. I can't pretend to know what he was feeling, but I can't deny that it was for real. If you're interested, there is a fantastic article at Salon about the reaction shot of Jackson from that night.

Finally, I just wanted to say how amazing it is that Lily's first President is a black man. For her, and for all of the children of her generation, this will be no big deal. And for that I am so thankful.

No comments: