11.25.2008

TV Talk: Playing Catchup

Oh, so much TV Talk to catch up on, so let's just jump right in.

I cannot express to you my heartache at the news that Pushing Daisies has, for all intents and purposes, been cancelled by ABC.  The network has declined to pick up any new episodes besides the 13 that are already in the can, "at this time".  The network hasn't actually officially cancelled the show, but it's as good as gone.  They say they might wrap up the story in comic book form, but that is about as appealing to me as, well, comic books are - which is NOT AT ALL.  Such a shame.

I have a recommendation for you: Spaced, Simon Pegg's BBC comedy that originally aired from 1999-2001.  If you're a fan of "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" (and The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Star Wars Trilogy - but not Phantom Menace! - for that matter), then you will LOVE "Spaced".  I recorded it when BBCAmerica ran a marathon a couple of months ago - and just watched it on Sunday - but you can rent the DVDs. My love for Simon Pegg knows no bounds.

I am this close to dropping Heroes for good.  I can no longer deal with the inconsistent characterizations, the insipid dialogue and the waste of a perfectly good premise.  It makes me sad that I used to eagerly await each new episode of this show, and now I just don't care.  The time will come soon when I will stop watching altogether.

Sons of Anarchy, however, has continued to amaze me, and last week's penultimate episode (the season finale is tomorrow) was just incredible.  The show did an amazing job of building drama over the season and all of the pieces of the story arc are really coming together, in sometimes heartbreaking ways.  I cannot wait to see what happens next.

I'm hoping they put out a SOA soundtrack.  The music in the show is always fantastic, and this song was put to good use in last week's outro:



Lastly, take a look at this - a new promo for Battlestar Galactica's final episodes, which will begin airing in January:



Woohoo!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a cool song from Sons of Anarchy. Do you know who does it?
I want to keep watching the BSG trailer, but I want to be surprised by stuff. I let myself watch it twice, then stopped. Thanks!

gina said...

I believe it's someone by the name of Amber Mae...let me check the site.

It's "Forever Young" by Audra Mae.

Unknown said...

I just watched it, but only with one eye and one ear. Heck, what am I worried about? With my memory, I could probably study the whole thing and forget all of it by January ;)

Can't wait!
Holly