8.07.2009

Don't you forget about me.

Sad news for those of us who came of age in 80s: Director John Hughes died yesterday from a heart attack at the age of 59.

His career definitely peaked in the 80s (I think Home Alone was the turning point for him, for some reason - he made crap after that), but what a legacy he left: Mr. Mom, Sixteen Candles, National Lampoon's Vacation series, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Great Outdoors, Uncle Buck...the list goes on. He was one of the first writer/directors to take teenagers and all of their angst seriously, and he really used popular music to great effect.

His films probably seem tame by today's standards, but I think they still stand the test of time, even if I think Molly Ringwald couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

I was really surprised last night when I went to You Tube and could find almost nothing there! So I had to really search, like the way you do at Marshall's for the good bargains, for these clips of some classic moments from Mr. Hughes' movies.

Enjoy.

















4 comments:

Beth said...

I almost said Some Kind of Wonderful cause I still have a big thing for Eric Stoltz. Then I almost said Pretty in Pink for Duckie alone, but I have to go with 16 Candles.

I saw Fall Out Boy Thu night and Pete Wentz mentioned that John Hughes died, and said something about how great the movies were. I had not heard it before that.

gina said...

I chose Sixteen Candles, too. Even though the movie was about Ringwald, it was the great secondary characters that make it such a great comedy.

How was Fall Out Boy?

Beth said...

We saw Panic at the Disco, Fall Out Boy and Blink 182. It was a great show, all of the bands sounded really good.

I agree, it was the whole ensemble that made 16 candles great.

gina said...

Sounds like an awesome show, Beth!

You know, I find it interesting that while The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller get all the attention in the media as being Hughes' biggest and best movies, neither of them got a single vote so far in this poll. Granted, there are only 6 votes so far, lol, but still.