8.18.2009

Drive Thru Reviews

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Hands down, my favorite of the Potter movies. Maybe it's because they're older, and the story deals with more mature themes? Possibly. I just know that I was brought to tears more than once while watching HBP, and that has never happened to me during a HP movie. Highly recommend.

Watchmen - This is a tough one. There were parts of the story - or should I say, thematic elements - that I enjoyed, but overall, I thought it was a bit of a mess. And very violent. I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone unless they are a fan of the source material (which I haven't read).

Run, Fat Boy, Run - Saw this, at last! Not as funny as Shaun of the Dead, or Hot Fuzz even, but more of a sweet-ish romantic comedy mixed with your typical underdog in a sports competition movie, and I think it works.

Ghost Town - Nothing new under the sun here, but I would still recommend it. Ricky Gervais is perfect as Bertram Pincus, the nebbishy, perpetually annoyed dentist who falls in love with the widow (Tea Leoni) of a ghost (Greg Kinnear) who has asked him to break up her engagement to the perfect man. There are a few scenes - including one with a great dane, and another where Pincus has to answer some pre-op questions - that are downright hilarious. I definitely recommend.

1 comment:

krys said...

I LOVED Harry Potter. I remember wanting to see Ghost Tomwn when it came out, but I never made it. Then I forgot about it. ;)

My next movie will probably be District 9. Theater or DVD is the mystery, lol.