12.31.2001

My Best of 2001

With everyone else doing it, why not? Here's a list of entertainment-based television programs and moments that I found to be exceptional in 2001. (leaving Sept. 11 and its related coverage off the list) Since I watch a good deal of TV and I don't want to look like a complete loser, I've tried to keep it reasonably short. And it's still too long, LOL.

Okay, in the order that they popped into my head:

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer - (UPN) Episodes like The Body and Once More, With Feeling (musical episode) put this show head and shoulders above all the others. Hopefully, with fX showing 2 Buffys each weeknight, the show will get the audience it deserves.

Six Feet Under - (HBO) I didn't think I was going to like this show at first, but I stuck with it and boy am I glad I did. The way the show weaves macabre humor with genuine respect for the dead is amazing.

Enterprise - (UPN) A show that gave the Star Trek franchise a much needed kick in the ass. And that Trip is just dishy.

24 - (FOX) A show that, in my opinion, has lived up to its hype. Keifer Sutherland, lost for so long, has finally found a home on television.

Everybody Loves Raymond - Marie's Sculpture - (CBS) Let's just say that Ray's mother takes up sculpture and, unbeknownst to her, creates an abstract piece that looks like a certain part of the female anatomy.

The Natural History of the Chicken - (PBS) Just because I was the only one who watched it doesn't mean it wasn't any good!

The West Wing - (NBC) Sticking out in my mind - Martin Sheen's scene in the church in Two Cathedrals and Allison Janney in The Women of Qumar.

Jon Stewart, The Daily Show - (Comedy Central) The opening monologue of his first post-Sept. 11 show just ripped at my heart. He's been a beacon for me quite often during these past few crazy months.

Farscape - (SciFi) Still the best science-fiction show on television.

Robert Patrick, The X-Files - I am in love with Agent Doggett.

Abraham and Mary Lincoln: A House Divided - (PBS) Part of the American Experience documentary series, this 6-hour program took a look into the often tragic private life of one of our greatest presidents.

City Confidential - (A&E) Can you say, "guilty pleasure"? Paul Winfield's narrations lends just the right amount of seediness to the story, without ever letting the show descend into pure trash.

Just Melvin, Just Evil - (HBO) Brutally honest documentary about an abusive family patriarch - Melvin Just. Made by his grandson.

The Sopranos, Amor Fou - (HBO) "I didn't just meet you - I've known you my whole fuckin' life!" The moment that Tony realizes that Gloria reminds him of his mother, Livia, was one of the most powerful ever featured on the show. And that's saying something.

No comments: