12.20.2001

XP Woes

Not I-wish-I-never-upgraded type woes, but woes just the same. Like I said, the upgrade itself went very smoothly, and my system has been running very smoothly. The problem I'm having is getting to certain web sites, and it isn't XP that's giving me trouble - it's IE 6, which came bundled in the XP upgrade. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to why I can't get to some sites, while I have no problem connecting to others; I've been researching Microsoft's support pages the past couple of days for fixes and I've tried a number of things (deleting temp files, playing with privacy settings in IE, editing the registry, on and on) and nothing made a difference. Today I started posting to the Community newsgroups at Microsoft and a nice guy named Noel Paton has been giving me some help. No real fix yet, though. If I can't get this fixed for good, I'm going to uninstall IE 6 and go back to IE 5.5. If it'll let me.

Then I read this. Grr. So, I'm restricted from parts of the web, but some pre-pubescent geek jacked up on Mountain Dew and Cheetos can get to me. Better go download that patch before he finds out all of my innermost secrets and laughs himself silly.

No comments: