10.31.2003

Red Skies At Night

A note from the Weather Center: "The northern lights were seen around 7 pm in Connecticut and it featured bright reds. "

I saw the northern lights in my own freakin' backyard last night. I had to stop at the grocery store on the way home, so I didn't pull into my driveway until about 6:45 P.M. I live in a rural area, at the top of hill, so there is very little interference from city lights when stargazing. When I looked up to admire the sky full of stars (as I am wont to do, being the geek that I am), I was rendered breathless by what I saw - virtually the entire sky was red, even though it was long past sunset (and besides, I was looking east). I thought, "This looks like the aurora borealis, or at least what I think it would look like." When I told my mother what I saw, she told me that she just heard on the news that it was viewable. So, I scrambled to get my cameras out and set them for night photography, which took some browsing through manuals. By the time I got outside, though, it had already vanished.

However, I don't think even I could forget what I saw. Magnificent.

No comments: